- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 1/2 pound chicken
- 4 tablespoon flour
- 4 tablespoon fat, (lard and butter)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon water
- Cut the legs from the body, break the joint at the thigh and cut in two.
- Cut off the neck and wings.
- Break the breastbone and cut in two lengthwise.
- Break the back in two pieces lengthwise, if desired.
- Plunge the pieces into cold water and allow to drain.
- Sprinkle each piece with salt and paprika, and roll in flour place the fat in a frying-pan.
- When very hot add the chicken.
- Allow all the pieces to brown thoroughly; cover the pan with a lid and add the water, lower the fire and cook over a moderate fire for thirty minutes.
- Turn frequently to prevent scorching.